Thursday, July 7, 2011

What to do with the garlic scapes?


One lonely garlic scape left in our garlic patch!
We were first introduced to garlic scapes about 4 years ago when we got them at our Farmer's Market. They add such wonderful flavor to our stir fried dishes- especially when good garlic is hard to find early in the summer. We started growing our own garlic and had a handful of scapes at a time to use in dishes or salads.

This year we have about 40-50 garlic plants. That is a lot of scapes. I cut the first batch on Summer Solstice. I used some in a stir fry and then gave a bunch away to friends as I knew I wouldn't use them before they went bad. 

I was determined to find a use for them. When a second wave of scapes were ready, my search began. Grilled? Stir fry? Yep.  Scape pesto is supposed to be awesome.  I'm not too much into pesto, so here is what I decided to do:
Our second garlic scape harvest this season!
  • Frozen Scapes-  I chopped the scapes to 1/2 inch pieces (I used all of the scape) and sealed them in a freezer bag.
  • Garlic Scape Oil  I finely chopped the scapes with a food processor and then packed them into canning jars. I covered the scapes with oil and then vacuum sealed the jars before putting them into the fridge. It smells heavenly!  

My first batch of garlic scape oil!

I think my next adventure with scapes will be a garlic scape soup recipe. Sounds yummy! What do you do with garlic scapes? 



1 comment:

  1. We tried the garlic scape oil yesterday on baked kale. It was yummy! We will need to grow more garlic next year.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete